The French Bulldog Club of England was established in 1902 by a little gathering of devotees committed to the safeguarding, advancement, and prosperity of the breed; over 100 years after the fact, those points stay unaltered. Funny, smart, wicked; the rundown of descriptive words depicting our cherished French bulldogs is long and shifted. We trust that the activities of our club can help those inspired by this breed to be better educated. It has been more than one hundred years since a little gathering of aficionados met at 32 Eaton place, London (the home of a veterinary specialist, Mr. F. W. Cousens), with the end goal of establishing a club for our breed. Lady Lewis, a main pioneer in England in the battle to get the French bulldog perceived as a different breed in its own privilege, was chosen as the club’s first president, a post she held for eighteen years.

Notwithstanding the group’s determination to accomplish that acknowledgment, the new advisory group set down in the club’s unique rules, in that its motivation was to promote the rearing of immaculate French bulldogs and also to encourage the raisers, the judges, and the exhibitors to utilize the appropriate standards by which French bulldogs should be judged.

It was a few years before the kennel club, at long last, received the full acknowledgment, which the club was looking for, allowing the French bulldog an English name as opposed to bouledogue francais. By then, the club was flourishing and a substantial number of members had joined and were giving it their backing. The main club show was held in 1903; at Tattersalls (the main auctioneer of race horses in the United Kingdom and Ireland).

Up to 1939, these shows were predominantly held in London and regularly in conjunction with another breed. From 1945, the example of holding a championship show and an open show every year has been kept up, including a members’ limited show, . For about 50 years now, these shows have been held in lobbies in the Home Counties.

An end of season party is held yearly. Workshops are held every now and then on different parts of the advancement of the breed and, additionally, the compulsory classes required by the kennel club for potential judges of the breed. The club is controlled by a committee of twelve members, chosen by postal vote of the membership and serving for a term of three years, four of the committee being liable to decision every year, either by remaining for re-race or retirement. The committee chooses its own chairman, vice-chairman and honorary treasurer. It is served by an honorary secretary selected by the committee. The president, as well, is chosen by postal vote and serves for a long time; on the same premise as the committee members.